Registering a Death Overseas

If the deceased died outside the UK the procedures of the country in which the person died should be followed. Whilst not mandatory, it is worth contacting the local British Consulate, as a record of the death will then be sent to the General Register Office (GRO) in the UK. This will allow the GRO to produce further death certificates if requested by the family. It can take time (anything up to 12 months) for the local British authorities to send the record of death. In the meantime, you might consider commissioning a translation of the death certificate (see below).

For assistance whilst you are abroad, use the following details to access consular services:

  • Call: +44 (0) 20 7008 1500

Once back in the UK use the following details to contact British authorities overseas:

  • Call: 020 7008 1500
  • Write to: Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Consular Division
King Charles Street
London SW1A 2AH

Translation of the death certificate

To enable legal processes to begin, many people choose to have the death certificate translated at their own expense. Any translation must be ‘certified’, if it is to be legally admissible. Check before you agree to any translation that the completed work will be certified.

Return to top of page